Pages

    Tuesday, November 27, 2007

    Fireplace

    Well, we are at the point where we need to think of what to do with the fireplace. We didn't want to just do the standard tile or marble surround as it had previous to our ownership.


    We closed off the pass through to the kitchen that was left of the fireplace so that we could add room for a washer/dryer in the kitchen. In doing this we decided to put some built-in shelves on the living room side.


    We thought that it would be nice to incorporate the new fireplace mantle with the built in shelves. This is a potential design for the mantle and shelves.



    Imagine the yellow is a nice piece of Baltic birch with a mantle that runs into a shelf in the built in shelves on the left. A thought is to do it with an exposed plywood edge.

    Tell us what you think. We would love some input.

    5 comments:

    Unknown said...

    That would look really unique, I think - and put a darker stain on that shelf and the wood would really stand out.

    april said...

    I love it.

    Tai said...

    Todd raised some concerns that the baltic birch may be too close in color to the light colored floors. I'm going to have to take a sample to the condo and see what we think about it.

    Who knows if I actually have the skill necessary to build what we can dream up.

    Suzanne said...

    You guys must be SO happy to see that forest green carpet out. I love the built-in bookshelf idea, and the extension of the mantel piece across the wall. I'll be curious to see what materials you choose.

    Yanni said...

    I am in the process of doing a similar fireplace project. I can not do built in shelving so I am going to do floating shelves that will match the mantel. I have put in faux stone for the surround. I am anxious to see everything come together.