Pages

    Wednesday, April 1, 2009

    Sharing

    Things that our architects now know about us that our friends and family may not:

    1. Closets need to have doors so that Things don't sneak out and get you in the middle of the night.

    2. I don't like shower-only bathrooms because there is no place to rest my foot while I shave my leg(s).

    3. Tai thinks the TV plays a bigger role in the living room than I do.

    4. We believe in doors for bedrooms and bathrooms. As Kenner put it, "Sometimes in architecture, we have to talk about how you make noise when you have sex and going to the bathroom means making stinky smells." Well said.

    5. The only space in my grandparents' house where my family and our out-sized personalities fit during the holidays is their large front room with a double-height ceiling. Many years of those memories are why I was thrilled when Kenner and Matt mentioned it might be possible to get a double-height space into our floor plan.

    6. Master bedrooms are for sleeping. Not lounging, not entertaining, not doing laundry, not lazing about. We don't need a couch to fit in our master bedroom, and our bedroom is not a social space.

    7. We prefer a wood-burning fireplace to a gas one.

    8. I crave natural light so much that I will get out of bed after lights out at night and open our curtains so the morning light can come in.

    9. We include the kitchen in our entertaining space.

    10. I aspire to be a doddering old lady with a garden.

    6 comments:

    amelia said...

    Open floor plans that center around a kitchen/living room combo are great.

    Do I see the job title of "plant lady" in your future?

    Kersten said...

    I can only dream.

    Kersten said...

    Forgot to add: that lady had the best job at the paper. IfyouknowwhatImean...

    april said...

    "2. I don't like shower-only bathrooms because there is no place to rest my foot while I shave my leg(s)."

    "6. Master bedrooms are for sleeping. Not lounging, not entertaining, not doing laundry, not lazing about. We don't need a couch to fit in our master bedroom, and our bedroom is not a social space."

    I agree wholeheartedly with these.


    "10. I aspire to be a doddering old lady with a garden."

    My mom also aspires to this, only she would also like to spray little kids with her garden hose as they walk past. Just for fun, not to be mean. (At least I don't think so!)

    k8 said...

    ahahaha!!!

    the natural light thing has become even more true for me as i have suffered through a year in a basement apartment. i have gone batsh*t crazy without light.

    Anonymous said...

    stumbling across your blog after having saved a bookmark of the mantle you guys had done in the past, i've been enjoying the whole new house project and read up on it every now and again.

    with that said, i know personally, a basement is a huge thing for me. seems there's no mention of it, will you be having one? it's a nice inexpensive way to have space for future square footage, a space that doesn't have to be finished till the time is right.

    with that said, keep the images coming, truly enjoying the whole thing.