Pages

    Monday, March 15, 2010

    Living Room/Entry/Stairs

    It's probably about time that I continue on with the tour of our finished house. Keep in mind that when I say finished, I'm really just talking about substantial completion as I have a punch list a mile long to still complete. So if you see something that looks incomplete, I'm getting to it. Like the cedar slats in the front door canopy.

    The door is a solid core birch slab. It has several coats of a marine spar-var finish on the outside. The painter said that we should never have to worry about it again.

    The doorbell button is the True Illuminated Doorbell Button by Spore. We bought this and all of our light fixtures from lumens.com.

    The mailbox is the Two Arcs Mailbox from Chiasso. I don't have a hammer drill so drilling the 4 holes in the concrete wall required to hang it took me well over an hour and lots and lots of elbow grease. And elbow pain.





    Views of the concrete wall on the interior as well as Kersten's many knitting supplies and my prized possession, an Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman. We hope to someday have a really cool fireplace against this wall. We look forward to this day as winter nights will be very cozy and as it will also signify that disposable income has returned to our life.

    George Nelson Bubble lamp from lumens.com.

    Pay no attention to the slovenly fat guy on the computer in his pajamas.

    Every time we move (4 times now) I keep hoping someone will drop my TV so that I can get a cool flat screen. Someday.


    View of the upstairs balcony from the living room.

    Exposed paralam beams that carry the second floor balcony and stairwell.


    Before we finally got around to moving the piano out of our old place.

    After we got around to moving the piano out of our old place.

    1/4 inch stainless steel cable rail.

    Pre-cast concrete treads.



    Exposed paralam beam up close.

    1 comment:

    Preston said...

    I'm thinking of putting a steel cable railing on my stair renovation (currently in-progress). I know you don't know me, but I'd love to stop by your house sometime (I just live in Sugarhouse) to see your railing (along with many other things in your house that I love). I know it's a little bold to ask you to let a complete stranger into your home & I might sound like a creepy stalker, but let me know if you'd be willing to give me a quick tour if I stopped by one day (notserp5790@aol.com). I'm really a normal guy - see http://notserp5790.blogspot.com/.